Friday, November 12, 2010

Attraversiamo

I'm currently sitting in Fiumicino airport in Rome. And of course, there's no wi-fi so I won't be posting this until I'm home anyway. But I'm wide awake and probably won't feel this way again for a couple days. It's 5:21am. I slept a little, maybe 2 hours at the most. I just found myself staring at the couple next to me that was eating bananas. I want one. My breakfast consisted of bread from last night's dinner and the rest of a Milka bar (surprise, surprise). So much to write about, so I will start with the last day in Prague.

I would say that 90% of the time that we were stuck in the classroom, the weather was beautiful. So of course during our last weekend, it was raining cats and dogs. The girls and I still stuck with our plan and went to Prague Castle on Sunday. It wasn't raining at the time, and actually the fog made it really eerie looking, so it was cool. But it was definitely really really cold. We were freezing. So we didn't stay too long. The castle was unbelievable. I had never seen anything like that, ever. It was so beautiful. Funny that I waited until the last day in Prague to see it, but I saw it! And my Prague trip was pretty much complete. After we went to the castle, we went to the Beer Factory, where they have taps at the table and you pour your own beer. It was fun, but not very exciting. Probably better on a Friday night, not a Sunday afternoon. That night we just had a girls night in, since it was our last night together in Prague. Monday morning, I went back to my apartment to pack up everything. It was so strange leaving my ugly little apartment that I had a love/hate relationship with for a month. (hope I wasn't supposed to water that plant.....oops)

Side Note: I got really excited on the way to pick up Kally to go to the airport. I was standing on the tram with all my stuff and I noticed a guy was checking these people for something. I realized it was for their tram passes! I hadn't gotten asked once the whole month. So spending 550CZK on that pass finally made it worth it! So happy.


ROME (tried to condense this, I was writing every detail at first, too much.)

By 2pm, Kally and I were on our pink and purple plane on the way to Italy! We were so giddy. When I was walking around Rome, I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning. It was great. The first night, we were really tired and carrying all of our luggage sucked, so we just stayed at a hotel that was close to the train station. We got food that wasn't very exciting, which I found out later that a lot of the places in that area are really touristy and not great food. But then we stopped at a bakery and the cannoli I got made up for dinner. It was so good. The next day, we found a hostel that ended up being pretty perfect for us. It was just a simple room, but clean. And private, which was nice. Just had to lug our stuff through the rain, annoying!
We didn't make exact plans. But had a tentative plan to go to the Colosseum the next day. After wandering around though, we just stumbled upon it. The rain had cleared up so we decided to go for it. The Prague Castle was beautiful, but this was even more amazing to me. It's just so crazy to think of how long it has been there, and all the history behind it. I was in awe, since I've never really seen anything like it. I love that Europe is so old! I find it fascinating.

After the Colosseum, we decided to cross the river where we heard the good food is! After walking for over 2 hours, and getting lost a couple of times, we made it. But then the restaurants weren't opening for another hour, so we found a wine bar and had a couple glasses. The restaurant we ended up at was perfect for us...amazing food. Then we hopped on a bus back.

The next day, we went to Vatican City but it was POURING! So we got off the bus and then right back on! But the bus went around and the rain actually stopped, so we tried to get off but people were in the way, and we missed it! So we had to walk through this tunnel, which was actually pretty great..got some good pics. We decided to grab a cappuccino from this little cafe. And somehow our idea of a cappuccino turned into sharing a bottle of wine for lunch. The place was called All Brothers Cafe. The guys working were awesome. They were definitely all related and they were so cute and goofy. And not even creepy. I'm in love with Italian people right now. After that, we wandered over to St. Peter's and stuff. But we didn't go in. We didn't go into the museum either. Lack of time and lack of money were issues for us. We wanted to go to the Trevi Fountain before it got dark. We threw our coins in, which was fun. And the fountain was beautiful but found it not too exciting. I loved the little streets going up to it though.

I was thoroughly impressed with Rome. I definitely want to go back again someday. I loved the people, the language, the sites, the food (most importantly the desserts), everything! I think I had gelato 3 times in 2 days. On top of other desserts. Heaven. I want to go back when I can go see more of Italy. And when I have more money! And I would like to learn a little bit of Italian! I love it...Kally and I were speaking English, but in awful Italian accents and it was great.

I'm on the plane now. I think we should be landing in Vegas in about an hour. I had to get a taxi this morning at 3:30am. That sucked, but it actually worked out pretty well. I found one right up the street, and even though it was expensive, it was way more convenient than finding a night bus and walking forever to get on it. I flew from Rome to Frankfurt, now to Vegas and then to Ontario. Long day. I should really be doing my resume right now, so I can start applying to Korea when I get back!

1 comment:

  1. Great posting Kelsey. I know you and Kally will make it back to Rome one day. Hopefully together, but dont let that stop you.
    Now, get busy on that resume'!
    Kally called a few hour ago and she is doing great. She will be getting on the Ferry to Phi Phi in about 6 hours. Christopher is very excited to greet her. But... he is on a dive and probably wont be at the dock when she arrives. :-(

    ReplyDelete