Sunday, October 24, 2010

Homesick today

I haven't been as homesick since I've been here as I was today. Not really sure what brought it on. I had a good weekend, despite being really tired. I finally had some Czech food! On Saturday, Christine and I went to do some touristy things. We saw the John Lennon Wall, which wasn't super exciting, but really pretty. And I loved all the Beatles quotes (made me miss Rock Band!). And it's cool that everyone writes on it. It was a really nice day out, and I had been wanting some goulash! So we sat outside at a little restaurant and had a 3 course combo deal. Soup, goulash, and an apple dessert. It was really good, even though we were charged 60CZK for the bread they just bring you. I had just read about that too. Some restaurants just bring you bread and then if you eat it, they charge you. Lame. But I love bread too much to not eat it when it's in front of my face!

My tip of the day is: don't drink red wine before you go out. I learned that Friday night. We went to a bar called Red Room, which I actually liked. But I was soo tired as it was, and the wine I drank before going out didn't help at all. Plus it was a million degrees in there and I felt claustrophobic. There was a live band, but it was just finishing up by the time we got there. The last song they played though was "Brown-eyed Girl" so I was happy. Probably one of my all-time faves. An event that happened on my 2am tram ride home was probably the highlight of the night though. A kid got on the tram, and it wasn't moving, but he definitely couldn't walk straight. (stagger was one of my vocab words this week...he was the perfect example) So I noticed he sat down and totally passed out. He was a normal looking kid, probably like 19 or 20, kind of dorky. He looked American. Well we're almost to my stop and I hear all these Czech guys laughing and I obviously couldn't understand what they were saying, but I figured it out once I smelled what had happened. I walked by the kid as I was getting off...he was still 100% passed out, covered in puke. Puke all around him. Gross. I felt bad for him...hope he made it home! poor drunk kid.

Last night, I kept it mellow for myself. I met some new people though, so that was cool. And didn't really go out out...but still managed not to make it to sleep until 4am. I'm really dreading this week. I've heard the 3rd week of this class is the worst! I'm just going to try to take it one day at a time. I went to Tesco tonight to buy food for my lunches this week. I always compare Tesco to Walmart, but I think Tesco is nicer. But I still treated it like Walmart, and wore crazy, non-matching clothes. Something I would probably only wear to Walmart, but this is Prague...I could dress like that everyday and no one would look at me twice. This city is so strange. Best thing I bought today...mini mozzarella balls. So good! I could eat cheese everyday for the rest of my life.
And I just love bell peppers, so I made a meal out of these.


That was my dinner. Not much, but I had had a big lunch. I pass this place "Paul" every morning when switching trams. And this nice Irish girl last night told me that it's amazing. I had always wanted to stop in there before school and get coffee and a pastry. But that would require me being ready earlier to make time..let's get serious. So I stopped in for lunch today. I got a baguette sandwich with tuna. SO good. And of course had to get one of the amazing looking desserts. SO SO good. Kind of splurged this weekend. So it's homemade lunches everyday this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment