Sunday, October 10, 2010

I saw Prague today!!!!

The lady that picked me up from the airport, Iva, took me on a short tour to show me the way to school. I got a feel for where exactly I am living, and where the city is. It really pisses me off that I live so far and around nothing. I'm so glad she showed me the way because even though I could have figured it out, I feel way more confident about doing it alone tomorrow morning. SO! Prague is absolutely beautiful!! I mean, I knew it would be. But it still took my breath away. We crossed the river as the sun was still out, but starting to go down. I really wanted to jump off the train every 2 minutes and bust out my camera. But I didn't want to look like a crazy person, plus there will be plenty of time for pictures when I'm on my own time.

Being on the tram reminds me of being on the subway in New York. Only instead of heading downtown or uptown, I'm heading towards Sidliste Repy or Spojovaci, which I still don't know how to pronounce. I loved all the huge buildings in New York. But the buildings here are huge, old, AND beautiful! I can't wait to go exploring. I just wish I had someone else to do it with..more fun that way. Hopefully I will have some fun people in my class! Iva gave me directions to the Charles Bridge, so I'm hoping to explore that one night after class this week.

This morning (eh, more like noon when I finally got out of bed and showered and stuff), I ventured to the market in the buiding next to me. I had no idea what the heck to get. And I'm still getting confused by the currency. I recognized familiar things, like Activia and Whiskas cat food (aw Lily! crazy cat lady). I just bought a few things to snack on. I think I need to go to a bigger store to really grocery shop. But I have enough beef jerkey and almonds for now. I really wanted a bottle of wine. But I wasn't sure how good the prices were. Plus, knowing me I would end up drinking more than half the bottle and wake up with a headache tomorrow. Probably not a good idea for my first day of class! I'm pretty excited to start school. It feels like forever since I've been. And once I was done, I never wanted to go back. Knowing it's only 4 weeks long helps though. Even though I think it's pretty intense. I'll survive.

I have heard that there is a huge population of Americans living in Prague. I still don't think I've come across one. I guess this could be due to the fact that I live so far from the real city. Czech people are so interesting to me. I can't help but watch people and the way they interact. I don't mean to stare (even though I feel like everyone is staring at me). It's probably just all in my head though, really. I'm just used to apologizing if I bump into someone, or I would definitely wait my turn behind someone who was looking at the tram schedule. People here don't do that. There are just different norms when it comes to personal space, which I already knew. It's just different when you are actually in the middle of it.

Hopefully I will have some more exciting posts during the week, with school and actually being able to see some stuff! I will post pictures, but probably mostly on Facebook (once it starts working for me...it's being "cheeky").


Here is what I bought at the market:

No comments:

Post a Comment